Saturday, December 9, 2023

Introduction to January 2024 Daily Devotions

 DAILY DEVOTIONS

FORTY DAYS

An Introduction

 

DAILY DEVOTIONS

An Introduction

 

     Sue and I have used the Moravian Daily Text for devotions for many years.  The Old Testament scriptures were chosen by lot by the Moravian elders and a New Testament Scripture was chosen to coincide with the them. Many years ago I began sending the scriptures and a prayer to some friends each day via email. One of them told me it would be a lot more meaningful if I wrote a brief comment on the scriptures.

     THOUGHTS TO PONDER was born. When Lent started that year, I decided to accept the challenge. I made writing “Thoughts To Ponder” my Lenten discipline. What I intended to do for the 40 days of Lent one year, has continued uninterrupted for almost twenty-four years! I started offering them to members of my church in Springfield, Missouri by email. Since then, the number of requests has slowly grown. Since I retired (2010) I’ve begun to edit, update, and rerun the Thoughts to Ponder.     

     SHORT AND SWEET   The beauty of these devotions is that they are truly short and sweet. It only takes a minute to read the scriptures, the “Thoughts”, and the prayer. It is my hope and prayer that you yourself will meditate on the words of scripture to make them your own and that you will expand the prayers with your own needs and concerns.

      REPLIES APPRECIATED  The replies which I have received from “Thoughts To Ponder” tell me that they are reaching more than two dozen states as well as Germany, South Korea, Pakistan, Tanzania, and several countries in South America, not to mention the ripple effect of the many people who forward them to friends and relatives.

         THANK YOU!  I thank you for sharing these moments each day with me, and for passing them on to friends and relatives around the world.  May God bless us this year with renewed zeal for allowing His Spirit to fill us so that we might be blessings to others.

     TO GET EVEN MORE OUT OF THE DEVOTIONS read the scriptures and meditate on the verses using the TRIP format. This is an option for those who want to expand their devotional time to make it personal. If you journal, jot down the completion of these statements each day:

T - (Thanks) Thank You, my God for...

R - (Regret) Oh Lord, I am so sorry for....

I - (Intercession) My loving Father, please....

P - (Purpose /Plan) Lord, I need you to help me....

P - (Praise) I praise you, O Creator of the universe, for....

 

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Pastor Larry L. Sydow

608 Cobean Drive

Roswell, New Mexico 88201

 

As promised, I begin this New Year with reflections on the “Points to Ponder,” “Verse to Remember,” and “Question to Consider” from Rick Warren’s book The Purpose Driven Life, which sets out to answer the question, “What on earth am I here for?”  I firmly believe that anyone taking the 40 day challenge will be changed and BLESSED!  If you don’t have the book, please get it and start the 40 days when you do.  

 

In a nutshell, the challenge is to read one chapter per day (a short 3-4 pages).  Our devotions - “Thoughts to Ponder” and “Prayer”- are intended to be a springboard for your own thoughts to ponder, and an encouragement to put yourself into serious spiritual growth.  May God bless you as we are blessed together!

 

Larry L. Sydow, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church

No comments:

Post a Comment